Sunday, March 14, 2010

I Get Around for an Amateur

Saturday afternoon the weather was so miserable (high winds, heavy rain) that I thought it would be great to go out and have a nice beer or two.  I went to the Craft Ale House in Limerick where I found many folks with the same mindset...lousy weather, go out for a good beer.  I ordered a Curieux from Allagash Brewing Company.  This was described on the menu as a tripel with notes of coconut and vanilla.  No kidding.  Both flavors were well represented.  It was a very nice tripel albeit American.  When I got out to the car the kids were still asleep so my wife suggested I go to Union Jack's Congo Hotel for another beer.  As usual I followed my wife's recommendation.  I got to the Congo Hotel and like the CAH it was busy.  I managed to get a seat at the bar and tasted a Legbiter Irish Ale from Strangford Lough Brewing Company which I believe are out of Northern Ireland.  I suppose it was on because of St. Patty's day.  It was a nice enough beer but not what I was in the mood for.  Now Troeg's Nugget Nectar was just right.  Does anyone know why Troeg's doesn't have this as a year-round offering?  It is such a nice beer.  I would have loved to stay longer but suspected the kids would be waking up any minute and in fact they were awakening just as I got to the car.

On Sunday my wife was out of town visiting her parents with my oldest daughter.  That left me with my 1 year-old and my 4 year-old daughters.  Since my wife was out of town my mother volunteered to sit in the car with the sleeping kids while I went into Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny.  I only stayed in long enough to enjoy a Hopsecutioner from Terripan Beer Company.  I like this American IPA and I really like this brewery out of Athens, GA.  My mom did a great job filling in for my wife while she was away.  Thanks mom.

So summing up my weekend I visited the Flying Pig Saloon in Malvern, the Sly Fox in Phoenixville, Craft Ale House in Limerick, Union Jack's Congo Hotel in Barto and Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny in the middle of nowhere.  All in all it was a good beer weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment