Sunday, September 13, 2009

South Jersey Drought

That's correct, South Jersey drought, not draught.

My wife's co-worker invited us to their house along with about 30 other guests for a picnic on Saturday. Normally this would not be great news but the fact that the location was South Jersey didn't really help my mood. Prior to leaving for the picnic I thought it would be a good idea to search for a nice brewpub or beer bar to go to after the picnic. Hey, if I have to go to New Jersey I have to try to find something good to make the trek worthwhile.

I began my internet search. It didn't take long to come to the realization that the southern part of New Jersey is a difficult place to find a good beer. In fact, I discovered I would have to travel 60 plus miles to get to Atlantic City and visit the Tun Tavern. Nothing of interest between where I was and 60 plus miles. I haven't heard much about the Tun Tavern so I can not comment but the truth of the matter is that after enjoying several Yuenglings at the picnic (I am not an ingrate, I did appreciate the Yuenglings) we headed straight back to Pennsylvania where it is not quite as difficult to find a beer with flavor. Not quite as difficult but not as easy as I would like to see either.

I woke up Sunday with a severe lack of hop juice in my bloodstream. I was desperate for a good beer and I found one. I took the 45 minute drive from my house to Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I hear you. 45 minutes IS a long way to drive for a beer. Like I said above, I would like to see good draught beer more readily available in Pennsylvania as well...but it's better than New Jersey. I had a Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA. This was a straw-colored, white headed masterpiece. I enjoyed every drop and at 9.6% alcohol my mood started to improve. My wife had dropped me off at the bar and she rode around with the kids to give me enough time to enjoy a beer but they were back before I could succumb to the temptation to order another. Incidentally, if I did have another it would have been the Bear Republic Racer X that they had on...or maybe the Southern Tier Pumking...or...maybe...God bless Union Jack's and God Bless Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment