Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Fine Saturday Afternoon

What a great day. I finally got the chance to experience the new Tap And Table in Emmaus, PA. We arrived at 3:00pm exactly which coincidentally is when they open the doors. I walked in by myself as my wife and kids would rather go for a quick ride in the countryside. I was followed by approximately 8 other thirsty travelers. I assume that says something for the success of this new venture.

I ordered a Bear Republic Red Rocket from the hand pump which is a nice red ale weighing in at 6.8% abv. This was a great beer, I mean a really great beer. I only had 20 minutes tops so I had to make my choices work for me. Unsure what to order next the server suggested a Brewdog Hardcore IPA which was also on the hand pump. Brewdog is from Scotland. I was originally reluctant to order anything not from the USA but I was convinced to give this one a try. You must try this beer if given the opportunity. You may not find it on the hand pump but if you see it anywhere, give it a try. I know what you are thinking...from the UK, no hops. Try this one. It has a bite. My time has run out and my ride is probably waiting for me at the front door.

Next stop is Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I take the wife and kids with me for a nice dinner on the patio. My first one is a Bear Republic Racer X. Awesome but the 9% abv is going to kill a lightweight like me. Then I try a Southern Tier Pumking. OK, I love this brewery but I must admit the Pumking is a little too perfumey for me.

I am not sure what to order but John, the server suggests a Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. Throughout the years I have thought that this brewer is an over-hyped under acheiver. I give credit to Sam Calagione's ability to get print but the beers always seem mediocre. OK, it's only $5.00. Let's give it a try. Very nice. I am still not conviced that all of Dogfish Head's beers are all that good but I reluctantly admit that I enjoyed this one immensely.

What to round out the night? I had plenty of alcohol already. And although my wife already agreed to drive us home I felt that a low alcohol dark beer was in order. Sly Fox O'Reilly's Stout sounds great at this point. I pretended to taste alcohol that was non-existant and convinced myself that this was a great ending to the day.

Until I could get home to my beloved kegerator...

No comments:

Post a Comment