Monday, January 17, 2011

Unrealistic Expectations?

Saturday was a bit of a blur to me.  I made my way to Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny and I took my oldest daughter in with me as her sisters slept in the car under the watchful eye of their mother.  I had a Kentucky Breakfast Stout (the cool people call it KBS) from Founder's Brewing Company.  Yeah this is the real deal.  As I have said before, it is nothing like the regular Breakfast Stout but it is every bit as good.  Later in the evening my sister Gin and her husband Dave and my Mom all watched our kids so I could take my wife out to celebrate her birthday.  We went to Funky Lil' Kitchen in Pottstown.  I took a bottle of 2007 Pinot Noir from AP Vin (I can't remember which vineyard at the moment).  The wine was good but I had expected great.  Same can be said for the dinner.  Don't get me wrong, the dinner and the wine was very enjoyable it's just that I had higher expectations, perhaps unrealistic expectations.

After dinner we stopped in at the Craft Ale House since we were in the neighborhood.  I had a Rude Elf's Reserve from Fegley's Brew Works.  This is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.  It is pretty good for an American brewer but the alcohol started to get to me.  We left to head back towards Phoenixville but there was one stop left.  Someone opened a bar in the Sly Fox's original location and they call it Joe's American Pub.  We had to go.  After all we have a million memories of the place including family get-togethers upstairs etc.  Once inside we didn't recognize the place.  That's OK.  Someone spent a lot of money to re-do the joint.  My problem was the beer.  They advertise 7 craft beer taps.  The best of the 7 was Sierra Nevada Celebration.  Not that it's a bad beer but come on!  I am pulling for them.  I'd love to have another great beer bar in town.  I'll check in with them every now and again to see how they are doing.  And if the folks at Joe's All American Pub need advice on what beers to serve I know a great resource for them to use.  The beer blog the whole world is talking about...kegchaser.blogspot.com.

Thanks to Mom, Gin and Dave for killing a Saturday night watching my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment