Saturday, July 3, 2010

Friday before the holiday

On Friday I had lunch at the Flying Pig in Malvern.  I ordered a Lake Erie Monster from Great Lakes Brewing Company to go along with my excellent cheese steak.  The chalkboard called this an IPA but one sip told me this was an imperial IPA.  I started to regret ordering this one because of the big alcohol (9% abv) and I had to go back to work but this was a really nice beer.  Then, despite my better judgement I ordered a cask-conditioned Sawtooth ESB from Left Hand Brewing Company.  This was a pleasant beer but I really didn't give it much of a chance since it was following that imperial IPA.  I'll look for this one again.

After work I stopped in to the Drafting Room in Exton.  I started with a Carnevale from The Lost Abbey.  This is a pretty good Saison but a little spicey for me.  It was actually probably a very good traditional Saison and I guess I have come to enjoy the Americanized version.  I then had a Red Rocket from Bear Republic Brewery.  Since it is from Bear Rebuplic you know it must be good.  It is a full flavor beer meaning to me that it is both hoppy and malty.  I guess some would call that well balanced.  I love this beer.  Then I had a 16th Anniversary Ale.  Every year Troegs Brewing Company brews a beer to celebrate another anniversary for the Drafting Room.  This 16th Anniversary is a Belgian IPA.   As I have said in the past, this is not my style of beer.  Belgian beer...great!  IPA...great!  Belgian IPA...not so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment