Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saison Farmhouse Ale Frenzy

Last night after work I did something unusual for me.  I stopped at McKenzie's Brewhouse in Malvern for a beer.  Historically I have not been a big fan of McKenzie's.  I found their beers to be banausic.  Recently I have heard good things about their Saison Vautour and I am in the middle of a Saison frenzy.  OK, McKenzie's has a winner.  This is an excellent farmhouse ale.  I wanted another but I have that darn rule about ordering the same beer twice in one sitting.  So, I ordered something called Two Threads.  It was described as a blend of their French Spring Ale and American Pale Ale aged in French Oak wine barrels.  Since I am not familiar with their beers I had no idea what to expect.  After my initial taste I thought, "Uh oh, is this beer infected or what"?  Then a funny thing happened.  My second swallow tasted better and my third better yet.  It is a dry, funky beer and by the time I was finished I really enjoyed it but it is not for the faint-hearted beer drinker for sure.

Afterwards I stopped at the Sly Fox in Phoenixville for a quick one while waiting on my pizzas to be ready.  I tasted a new one called Belgian Blonde.  It was similar to Saison Vos but not as dry and not as good in my opinion.  I ordered a Saison Vos...now that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment