Friday, January 15, 2010

Flying Blind at the Flying Pig

I thought it would be a good idea to stop in at the Flying Pig Saloon in Malvern for a beer after work tonight.  This is always somewhat of a crap shoot because unlike everyone else, the Flying Pig does not care to list their current draught offerings on a website or blog or anything that I know of other than the chalkboards that hang at the bar.  The upside is that they usually have something interesting on so it's no great risk going there.  Of course as is always my luck there were no seats at the bar.  I managed to get the attention of the bartender and ordered a Terrapin Hopsecutioner.  This is a really nice IPA.  I enjoyed it thoroughly despite having to stand the whole time.  I was about to take my last swallow resigned to the fact that I would have to leave because of my "one-beer-while-standing-rule".  Just then a couple of people got up and left.  Noone could have left during the 15 minutes I was standing and now several people get up and left.  Isn't that always the case.  Now I had a real dilemma.  Do I stick with the plan and head for home or do I grab a seat at the bar and enjoy another beer.  I opted to stay and have another.  This time I chose Old Jubilation Winter Ale from Avery Brewing.  This followed the Hopsecutioner well.  These two beers were at opposite ends of the spectrum.  The Old Jubilation Winter Ale was as malty as the Hopsecutioner was hoppy.  I enjoyed the contrast. 

2 comments:

  1. Did you see this article? I'm guessing that you would disagree with at least some of the Maxim's picks for best Philly beers:

    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Maxim_toasts_Philly.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the article but I am sure that Dogfish Head and Samuel Adams were well represented. If so, you are correct.

    ReplyDelete