Saturday, October 3, 2009

Who Waits Until 4:00 to Open on a Saturday???

We are out and about on this gorgeous Saturday afternoon and we decide to stop at Ott's Greenhouse in Schwenksville, PA. My 3-year-old falls asleep in the car so I continue to drive up the road to have a beer at Ortino's Northside in Zieglersville, PA. For probably the hundredth time I stopped here and it is closed. It is always closed. How can you be closed at 3:00 on a Saturday afternoon? And while I'm complaining, how can you put a round-about in the middle of PA-73? This is America for crying out loud. Even New Jersey figured out that these things are ridiculous. Regardless, I drive a little further and find myself at Union Jack's Congo Hotel. My wife drops me off and continues to drive around with the kids. I ordered a Green Flash West Coast IPA. I have had these before and it is a very nice beer. I then sneak in a Lagunitas Lucky 13 before my ride comes back for me. It is a nice, but dark IPA kind of beer.

Eventually we make our way to Ott's Greenhouse and enjoy a walk among the plants, flowers, pumpkins, hardy mums etc.

Now that it is past 4:00 I decide to go back to Ortino's Northside and give them another shot. They are actually open if you can believe it. I have a Troeg's Nugget Nectar from the hand pump. It is OK, not great. It may have had a slight infection. Next up I order a Port Brewing Company Panzer Pils. This is a fine pilsner and a very deceitful one as well. You would never guess this little gem had an ABV of somewhere around 9%. In between beers we manage to order dinner. I got the eggplant parmesan sandwhich and my wife gets some kind of salad with shrimp. My daughters split an order of hot wings. Everyone seems pretty satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment