Saturday, October 10, 2009

Limerick, Phoenixville and Beyond

I stopped at the Craft Ale House in Limerick, PA this afternoon.  My excitement was building since earlier in the afternoon when I noticed their website showed that they had 2 Bear Rebuplic IPA's on.  I ordered the Rebellion.  It is a nice IPA but not nearly as good as I expected from Bear Republic.  The description on the menu says "...with flavors of grapefruit, earth, floral and caramel".  I only tasted earth.

My faith in Bear Republic was shaken but I ordered another Bear Republic offering anyway.  Next up was the Mach 10.  I overheard others at the bar raving about this one but I found it to be just OK.  It had a great taste but I was getting an aftertaste I didn't care for.  I would still order this one again some time. 

Now it was time for Port Brewing Company's Panzer Imperial Pilsner.  This is not your father's pilsner.  This is a great pilsner as stated in an earlier post.  Get it if you can get it.

Next up was a Lost Abbey 10 Commandments.  This was a nice tasting Belgian-style but seemed a bit overcarbonated. 

Finally, I ordered a Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour.  I have had this in bottles before and didn't really care for it but I must say that it is pretty good on draft.  It is not as tart or as sour as the bottle or even when compared to a Rodenbach.  Great beer.

I decided it was time to head down the road and work my way towards home. 

Next, I was finally successful at gaining entrance to the Pickering Creek Inn in Phoenixville.  This is a nice place with plenty of character in downtown Phoenixville.  It was Saturday night and business seemed pretty good.  I ordered Summit Horizon Red Ale.  It is a very nice beer but not worth the $6 I paid for it.  It is definitely not up to the standards of a Hop Rod Rye or a Red's Rye but it is a clean tasting red, just not extraordinary.  I am glad I got it.  If they had anything else interesting on tap I would have had another but I decided to go home and have a Hop Wallop before retiring for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment