Saturday, December 11, 2010

Maryland and Back

I was in Maryland on business this week and didn't really have anything interesting to drink.  I had a Blue Moon at the Outback Steakhouse, a Sierra Nevada Celebration at some bar, and a Sam Adam's Winter Lager at Carrabba's Italian Grille.  That Winter Lager wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  On the way home I stopped in the Half Moon Restaurant and Saloon in Kennett Square.  I had a Heavy Handed IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company.  It was OK but not great.  Then I got a cask-conditioned Joe Coffee Porter from Philadelphia Brewing Company.  This was a very nice porter.

It was good to get back home and visit TJ's Restaurant and Drinkery in Paoli on Friday night.  I started with a Hop Garden (Firkin) from Dock Street.  This was excellent.  Next I asked for a Barrel Aged Elysium from White Birch Brewing.  The keg kicked halfway through my pour so that one was free which always makes the beer taste better.  You can definitely smell and taste the barrel.  The mouthfeel was kind of thin.  The 11.7% alcohol was well-hidden.  There was actually a tartness to this beer.  I don't know where it was coming from but it was pleasant.  I ended with an Old Bartholomew Barrel-aged Barleywine from Yard's brewing company.  If you are looking for something sweet and malty and big with alcohol this is your beer.  It was quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment