Monday, August 2, 2010

Winter, Summer, Who Cares?

I spent the last week on vacation in Bethany Beach, DE.  Because it is Delaware and for other reasons beyond my control my beer drinking experience was extremely limited.  I did have a bottle of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA.  I am still not a big fan.  I knew of two other local breweries that I wanted to try and I found the first, 16 Mile Brewing Company on tap at the Cottage Cafe in Bethany Beach.  It was their Blues Golden Ale.  This was a nice enough beer.  Nothing extraordinary...in fact it was ordinary but I admit I had a couple.  The second brewer I wanted to sample was Evolution Craft Brewing Company.  I got a six pack of their Exile ESB.  Now this was something to get excited about.  It is not an extreme beer but it is a solid, good tasting, well balanced beer.  I enjoyed all six of them.  I can't wait to find this brewer's beers on tap somewhere.  I hope they are not a one-trick pony.  Considering they are located in lower Delaware and almost in Maryland I don't expect to find them any time soon in Pennsylvania but a guy can hope.

Finally back at home I made a virtual B-line for Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny.  I started with a 2XIPA from Southern Tier.  It was very good just as it was the last time I had one.  With the wife and kids waiting in the car I had to finish it in a hurry if I wanted to have that Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Company that was on tap.  It's interesting to me that this is a seasonal beer (i.e. they brew it to be consumed in the summer) but I never had a problem drinking a big, dark beer whether summer or winter.  It is a very good beer.  I still favor the Breakfast Stout when it comes to Stouts but they are really two different beers aren't they.  My hat is off to Stone for defying common logic and brewing this big wonderful Stout for the summer.  Which reminds me...a brewery I don't talk about much is Appalachian Brewing Company in Harrisburg, PA.  They have a Broad Street Barleywine on tap year-round.  It is one of their flagship beers.  Imagine that!  I always thought they were a little nuts for having a barleywine on tap in the middle of summer and I always got one when I was there (Summer and Winter).  I think a road trip is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment