Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bikes and Beer

I stopped in at the Flying Pig in Malvern after work on Friday.  I had a Tommyknocker Hop Strike Black Rye IPA.  This is a very unusual beer.  I wouldn't say it was great but it was pretty good.  Of course I like rye and I like IPA's so I knew it would be likely that I enjoy this one.  I think the black color had a psychological affect on me though.  It didn't taste like you might expect from its color.  I followed that with a Summer Solstice from Anderson Valley Brewing Company.  I didn't care for this one that much and that surprised me because I like this brewer a lot.  It was almost like drinking fruit juice.  That may be because it followed that black IPA I don't know.  I'll have to give this one another try in the future.  I then made a quick stop at the Sly Fox in Phoenixville.  The bar was packed.  When my Pikeland Pils came my bill was $2.50.  No wonder the place was packed.  I always liked Pikeland Pils but when it is $2.50 during happy hour it just tastes a little better.

On Saturday, after an afternoon of bike riding and bike pushing (my daughter is learning to ride without training wheels) we went to Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny for dinner.  That's right.  Me and the rest of the family went IN to Union Jack's.  Actually we didn't go in.  We ate outside.  I started with an Avant Garde from The Lost Abbey.  This is a Biere de Garde which is not my favorite style of beer.  However as you might expect, I liked this one.  At least I liked this one for a Biere de Garde.  The Lost Abbey could not make a bad beer if they tried.  My second beer at Union Jack's was A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company.  This is a fantastic Pale Wheat Ale (or maybe an Wheat IPA).  If you don't like the taste of hops don't order this beer.  That will leave more for me.

By the way, if you like ribs and you are near Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny should should order them   They were really good.  Plenty of BBQ sauce on them and the meat falling off of the bone.  I got a full order because my daughter and I were going to share.  I ended up taking half of the rack home with us because the serving was so large.  It was a great outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment