Monday, May 10, 2010

So Many Beers...So Little Time

It was a pretty busy weekend of beer tasting. On Friday I started at Capone’s Restaurant in Norristown. First up was a Mongo IPA from Port Brewing Company. This was even better than expected. Next up was a B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin’ Frog Brewery. This is a nice example of an imperial stout. I followed that with a Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company. This was the best tasting chocolate milk I ever drank (drunk?). I then went to the Black Horse Tavern in Norristown (actually closer to Collegeville) but the best I saw on draught was a Yeungling Lager. After sipping my lager I noticed Chimay and other nice bottles were available. I then went to Pickering Creek Inn in Phoenixville. I had a Quercus Vitus Humulus from Otter Creek Brewing. I loved the big alcohol but not necessarily the taste. I moved on to a Raspberry Ale from Dark Horse Brewing Company. This was pretty enjoyable. Maybe because it followed that Otter Creek, I don’t know. Next up was an Oatmeal Stout from Breckenridge BBQ and Brewpub. This was a nice-enough stout but nothing spectacular. Next was a quick stop at the Sly Fox in Phoenixville for a Pikeland Pils and I finally had my fill.


On Saturday I went to TJ’s Restaurant and Drinkery in Paoli. I had my usual Cajun Chicken Sandwich which was awesome as usual. I had a Greenville Pale Ale from Twin Lakes Brewing Company. This was not so awesome. It was an OK pale ale…just not awesome. So to go with my awesome Cajun Chicken Sandwich I ordered an awesome Mongo IPA (see paragraph above). Now that’s more like it.

For Mother’s Day I took my wife and kids to the Sly Fox in Phoenixville. I had a US Saaz Keller Pils which I enjoyed the heck out of. I then had the Keller Pikeland Pils which was just as good. Actually, I couldn’t taste the difference. I think both are based on the same recipe but one uses US Saaz hops and the other German and Czech. Both are unfiltered and both are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment