Sunday, May 23, 2010

Capone's and Sly Fox Saturday

My 5-year-old daughter was invited to a birthday party Saturday in Norristown.  So after we dropped her off it seemed like a good idea for me to go to Capone's and have a beer.  My other 2 daughters and my wife seemed very happy to wait in the car but being the kind of father/husband I am I wouldn't leave them out there long.  I had an E.S. Bam from Jolly Pumpkin.  The E.S. apparently for extra special farmhouse ale.  The only other beer I previously had from Jolly Pumpkin was the Bam Biere (not to be confused with the E.S. Bam).  I am just not a fan of these beers.  Although I love the dry finish it is the perfumey, almost chemical taste that I don't care for.  As I said before, it may just be my beer ignorance of this style but regardless, I didn't care for it.  I followed that with a Crazy Ivan IPA from Bear Republic.  They call this a "Belgo-American IPA".  As I have said before, traditional Belgian-style beers are awesome and American IPA's are awesome but it does not necessarily mean that some hybrid of each is going to produce something as good or better than the parts.  Belgian IPA's never work for me.  That is not to say this is a bad beer.  It was pretty good but I think I would have enjoyed a nice Belgian followed by a nice American IPA better (as opposed to both concurrently).  Although I saw Bear Republic's Apex on the menu and was tempted to get one to restore my faith in Bear Republic I decided to head back out to the car because that's the kind of father/husband I am.

As dinner time drew near my 4-year-old daughter shouted "Let's go to Sly Fox for dinner" which was not prompted by me in any way.  My wife didn't like the idea but she suggested I take my two oldest daughters there for dinner and she would enjoy the relative quiet of our home with the baby.  So that is what I did.  I had the Keller Pils which is quickly becoming my favorite Sly Fox beer.  I also ordered a Greek Chicken Wrap which is my favorite sandwich there.  I also took this opportunity to have a Saison Vos.  Ahhhh, now that is what I consider a nice farmhouse ale.  I ended with a Royal Weisse which never disappoints.  The kids behaved and as it turns out it was a very nice dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment