Wednesday, June 29, 2011

New Hang Outs and New Beers (to me)

Since my last post on Friday I've managed to have several really good beers so here goes.

I went to the Craft Ale House in Limerick and had my first beer from St. Boniface Craft Brewing Company.  They are out of Ephrata, PA.  The beer I had was called Libation...a DIPA.  This was a pleasant surprise.  A very nice tasting beer but if they didn't tell me it was a DIPA I would not have guessed.  It was not that hoppy or bitter.  I don't know if I would even call it an IPA...maybe a Pale Ale.  Regardless, I liked it a lot.  I also had something called a Bitchin' Camaro from Voodoo Brewing Company.  It was described on the menu as a golden Saison but this was not golden.  It was more of a red-ish amber.  It was a nice beer but I've had much better Saisons recently. 

I went to Appalachian Brewing Company in Collegeville.  I enjoyed a Hinterland Hefe Weizen.  This is a very good, dry Hefe.  I then had a great Reuben sandwich and an ESB which I was told was a "one-off" beer (i.e. they only had 1 keg of it).  It was OK.  I don't know why they call these beers bitter though.  There was nothing bitter about it.

I went to Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown.  I had a Braumeister Pils (Saaz) which was very good.  In fact, I pick up a sixtel of it while I was there.  I followed that with a cask-conditioned Storm King which was awesome as usual.  While in Downingtown, I decided to make my first visit to the Station Taproom.  I was not happy about the metered parking and I suspect it would be hard to find a parking spot at a busy time of the day but it was late Saturday afternoon so I was OK.  It is a small place with a great line-up of beers.  I started with a Sierra Nevada Exportation.  This is a sour ale and it was fantastic.  Not unlike a Rodenbach Grand Cru.  The best part...it was served in a pint glass.  Not one of those sissy tulip glasses or anything.  I got the last pint of it and it was gone.  I next had a Hill Farmstead Double Citra IPA which is another DIPA.  It was pretty good but following that Exportation I'm not sure I gave it a chance.  I hope I can get another one of these to see how really good it is.  I never even heard of this brewer before stepping into the Station Taproom.  I can't wait to visit again.

I stopped in Ron's Original in Exton and had a Golden Cap Saison from New Holland.  I am not a big fan.  I stopped in the Epicurean in Phoenixville and had an HP Striker from Tommyknocker Brewery and Pub.  It was alright.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment