Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Need More Time for Beer

This past Memorial Day weekend I worked like a dog out in the yard so there wasn't much time for beer.  However, I did manage to stop into TJ's in Paoli on Friday after work.  I had a Saison from Nogne O - Det Kompromisslose Bryggeri A/S.  This is a very nice, dry saison from Norway.  Then I had a White Ale from Williamsburg AleWerks.  This is a very nice witbier.  I then had a Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Company.  I remember having this out of a bottle and not caring for it much but this one on draught was very good. 

On Saturday I did manage to get a break and have a quick dinner at the new Appalachian Brewpub in Collegeville.  I had the Mile High meatloaf which is served just as shown in the picture on the menu.  It tasted great too.  If I have to complain it may have been a little overcooked (dry) but not much.  I'll get it again.  I got the beer sampler which is a pretty good way to have a taste of all of their beers for $10.  And it's not just a sip but a nice size taste of each.  I had Water Gap Wheat (not great), Mountain Lager (not great), Purist Pale Ale (very good), Jolly Scot Scottish Ale (OK, not remarkable), Trail Blaze Organic Brown Ale (nice), Hoppy Trails IPA (very good), Susquehanna Stout (good) and their May specialty beer Maibock (OK, just not my style).

On Sunday I didn't stop working in the yard until it got dark.  I had just enough time to shower and get to the Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown for a couple of beers before bed.  I had the Summer Love which gets a lot of good press but I'm not that impressed.  Then I had the Sunrise Weissbier which was excellent.  I was about to order a cask-conditioned Storm King when the bartender came over and said "Last Call".  I was shocked for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, it was 10:00pm and I thought they would have been open later (although admittedly the holiday had thrown my days off), and secondly because I never shut down the Victory before.  I'm usually the guy there in the afternoons, not late night.  Anyway, I was not willing to rush downing a cask-conditioned Storm King so I decided to call it a night.  Wow, how I've grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment