Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Said it Was a Long Holiday Weekend

Over the course of the last weekend or so I made it to the following:

TJ's in Paoli for a Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye PA.  This is a pretty good beer but not quite as good as the Wipeout IPA from Port Brewing that followed it.

The Flying Pig in Malvern for a couple of beers starting with an Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery.  This was a very good IPA.  Next up was a Seven Giraffes Scottish Ale cask-conditioned.  This was OK but not as good as I expected partly because it is not my style of beer.  After that was a Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.  This is a very good Flanders red sour.  Maybe a little too tart for my taste but I'd get it again.  Finally I had an Extra Sour Quad from Gaverhopke.  This is a dark, big alcohol sour.  Very nice but you wouldn't want a second one in the same sitting. 

Later in the weekend it was up to Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny for a Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point which was excellent as usual.  I also finally opened a bomber of Black Jack Stout from DuClaw Brewing Company.  This is a nice Russian Imperial Stout although I suspect it is even better on draught. 

Yet again, later in the weekend (after all it was a long holiday weekend) I was back at TJ's for a Saison Erbe from Dock Street.  I love my Saisons and if I had to complain it was maybe a little spicy for my taste.  Then I had another Saison.  This was a Sly Fox - DeProef collaboration Broederlijke Liefde.  This is a very nice Saison.  You definitely taste the Brett.  For some odd reason I followed this with a Love and Hoppiness from Rogue.  Bad choice on my part.  I didn't care for the beer but again, probably because of the order I drank them.  I followed that with a Firestone Walker Union Jack which is a nice, grassy IPA and then finally another Port Wipeout.  That Wipeout may be the perfect IPA. 

Next I went to McKenzie's in Malvern for dinner.  To my great surprise they still had the Houblonette on.  This is my favorite Saison of all time.  I had a couple with dinner not even considering trying something else at McKenzie's.  Come on guy's...make this a year-round offering!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment