Sunday, May 15, 2011

That's A Lot Of Beer

I went to the Grand Opening of Appalachian Brewing Company’s brewpub in Collegeville last Thursday night. Yes, it was their first day of operation and I couldn’t wait to check out the place. I haven’t been in that space since it was the New Road brewpub. I can’t remember exactly what it looked like when it was New Road but it mustn’t have looked a lot different as I wasn’t shocked by what I saw when I got there. The opening wasn’t advertised so I guess they wanted a soft opening. It looked like that is what they got. It was me and 5 or 6 other middle-aged men sitting at the bar. Of course I didn’t get there until after 10:00pm so what’s to expect?
First up was a Hoppy Trails IPA. This was really good but I couldn’t wait for my next beer. I have been craving a Broad Street Barley Wine for a couple of years now. That’s because it has been a couple of years since I’ve been to ABC’s brewpub in Harrisburg. I always loved their barley wine and I loved the fact that they have it year-round. I must have built this up in my head over the years because I didn’t enjoy it the way I expected. Sure, it was good. But in my mind, I had remembered this awesome, none better, barley wine. I’ll have to try one again real soon.
Friday night I stopped at the Drafting Room in Exton. I started with a Field Mouse’s Farewell from Pretty Things. This is a very good saison. I followed with a Belvidere Big IPA from Rock Art. It was a pretty good IPA. Pretty bitter especially following that saison.
Saturday I went to the Craft Ale House in Limerick. I started there with a E.S. Bam from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales. This is a nice earthy saison. I am beginning to enjoy the heck out of these. I followed with a Hop Head Red from Green Flash Brewing Company. This is a very good red ale. I ended my stay at Craft Ale House with a Mongo IPA from Port Brewing Company. This is actually a DIPA and a very good one.
Later Saturday night I went to Pickering Creek Inn in Phoenixville. I started with a St. Botolph’s Rustic Dark Ale from Pretty Things. This is a very good brown ale. I ended with a Blind Faith IPA from Magic Hat. I have tried different beers from Magic Hat over the years and never understood their popularity. I generally don’t care for their beers. But I keep trying them periodically as is my normal practice. I must admit that I enjoyed the heck out of this one. I’m sure I’ve had the Blind Faith before but this time it was actually very good.
On Sunday I took the wife and Kids to Union Jack’s Inn on the Manatawny for dinner. I only had one beer. It was Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema from Anderson Valley. I normally like this brewer but I didn’t care for this one. It was OK but kind of ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment