Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cask Ale and More

Friday after cutting out of work a little early to see my daughters in their Halloween parade I went over to the Sly Fox in Phoenixville for a couple.  First up was a Pikeland Pils quickly followed by a Royal Weisse.  Both were satisfying as usual.  Then for a change I ordered an Oatmeal Stout.  This is even better than I remembered.  I don't know why I don't get these more often.  Maybe in my mind I confuse it with O'Reilly's Stout.

Saturday was a great day.  There was a cask beer festival at The General Sutter Inn in Lititz, PA.  I always wanted to visit this place and what better occasion than a cask ale festival.  20 cask ales were on tap.  I started with a Ruthless Rye IPA from Barrier in Oceanside, NY.  I never heard of this brewer before but this was a very good IPA.  Next up was 4 Seasons IPA from Voodoo Brewing Company in Meadville, PA.  I never heard of this brewer...in fact...I never heard of Meadville, PA before.  Again, a very good IPA.  Finally I had a Harvest Ale from Founder's Brewing Company.  This is an American Pale Ale and it was excellent.  I hated to leave but the wife and kids were waiting patiently in the car.  I went outside, collected the family and we then walked to the Wilbur Chocolate Factory.  The kids each got a treat and then we walked to a nearby park to feed the ducks.  When it came to potty time I suggested we go into the General Sutter so they could use the ladies room.  When they were done they asked if they could go back and feed the ducks some more.  I thought this was a good idea and since my wife and I both need not go I stayed behind at the General Sutter Inn.  I got a Black Pearl from Pearl Street Grille and Brewery in Buffalo, NY.  This is an India Dark Ale and a very nice beer at that.  Then I got a Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point Brewing Company on Long Island.  I've had this on draught before but this cask conditioned version was far superior as you might expect.  Keep in mind all of these beers were cask conditioned.  What a great day.

Now (Tuesday) I am on business in Massachusetts.  I just enjoyed an Archer Ale from Sherwood Forest Brewers.  This is an English Style pale ale.  I've had it before and I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment