Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Best Beer Bar in Massachusetts

So I'm traveling on business to Massachusetts and I don't have high expectations on finding any great craft beers.  I do my usual internet search and find a couple of places that seem interesting but I expect to be disappointed as usual.  I have my heart set on a brewpub in Gardner, MA when a co-worker suggests a good beer bar in Hudson, MA.  It is called The Horshshoe Pub & Restaurant.  I get there at 7:00 on a Wednesday night and the parking lot is full.  Things are looking pretty good.  I walk inside and see 80 taps.  Things just got even better.  At first I go to the bar and then I realize that I would be much better at a table where I can peruse the menu at my leisure.  And so I perused.  I decided to get samples instead of pints.  Samples, it turns out are 3 oz beers at $2.55 each.  I start with 4 IPA's.  They are (1) Big Eye IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company, (2) Racer 5 from Bear Republic Brewery, (3) Wipeout IPA from Port Brewing Company and (4) Wachusett Larry from Wachusett Brewing Company.  OK, the first 3 I've had before and I knew they were excellent but I enjoyed every one none the less.  The fourth one was taking a chance.  Let me tell you, this Wachusett Larry was a really good IPA.  Actually I think it was a double IPA.  It was right up there with the other three.  I was shocked...er...pleasantly surprised.

I had the seafood sampler for dinner which was a great choice.  Then I ordered four more beers.  They were (5) Black Fly Stout from Gritty McDuff's in Maine, a very nice Irish stout, (6) Extra Special Oak from Element Brewing Company in Massachusetts, good but not great, (7) Coffee Haus Porter from Berkshire Brewing Company in Massachusetts, excellent...taste like fresh coffee beans, and (8) Black Shack Porter from Wachusett Brewing Company in MA, pretty good, not great.

The real hero in this story is the Horshshoe Pub & Restaurant for having these 8 beers among their 80 on tap plus 2 cask conditioned beers.  I love this place.  And I didn't even have one of the many Belgian's they had on tap.  I might move to Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment