Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sweet Wipeout and Sour Consecration

Saturday afternoon we were traveling through Limerick and I had two sleepers in the car.  My wife agreed that I could go into Craft Ale House provided I take the remaining awake daughter in with me.  So in we went.  I got a Wipeout IPA from Port Brewing Company.  It was awesome as usual.  My daughter got a lemonade which was apparently awesome as well.

We got a little farther down the road and since the two kids were still asleep I got the great idea of stopping in at Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny.  I was unaware that they were having an event at the time.  It was a Strong Ale Fest.  All beers were over 10% abv.  Shortly before getting there the kids woke up.  What could I do?  We already committed to going to Union Jack's so I convinced my oldest daughter to keep the other two entertained while I go in.  These are the little things I do for my wife.  She shouldn't have to worry about keeping the kids entertained while I am at the bar.  I ordered a Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company.  I am a little leary about ordering Belgian style beers (i.e. beers in the Belgian style but not brewed in Belgium).  It is hard to make a beer as good as the Belgians.  And this particular beer is a sour ale which I would imagine is even more difficult to reproduce.  Russian River has done it with this one.  The taste was a lot like a Rodenbach except that the Consecration was probably more tart and definitely higher in alcohol content.  This is an excellent beer and particularly impressive is the fact that it was produced in California and not Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment