Friday, June 25, 2010

Big Alcohol, Little Time

It's Friday night so after work I went to the Flying Pig in Malvern for a drink.  At least that was my intention.  We had a bad storm yesterday afternoon with downed trees and electrical wires all over the place.  I even saw a fully assembled trampoline next to an on-ramp of US 202 with not a residential area in sight.  Clearly it was deposited there courtesy of the storm.  I had to make several detours due to the downed trees but I made it to Malvern only to discover the downtown looked something like a ghost town.  Parking lots were empty and all the businesses were closed.  No power and this was more than 24 hours after the storm.  After making certain the Flying Pig was closed I got back in the car and headed to TJ's Restaurant and Drinkery in Paoli.  Things were looking up.  Not only were they open but they had all Brew Dogs as happy hour special for $3. 

I asked for a Bashah.  This is an American Strong Ale with an alcohol content of 8.6% abv.  Apparently this is brewed in collaboration with Stone Brewing Company.  I wouldn't say it is great but I will say it is the best beer I ever purchased for $3.  With that in mind and considering it was still happy hour I asked for another Brew Dog product.  This time it was their Tokyo Intergalactic Fantastic Oak Aged Stout.  As he was pouring it, the astute bartender (I think it was Kevin) told me it was 18% abv and asked "Is that OK".  I have to give him credit.  This beer could kill you if you aren't expecting that big alcohol.  I enjoyed this one thoroughly and it replaced the Bashah as the best beer I ever purchased for $3. 

I made my way home and poured a Victory Hop Wallop from the keg in my basement.  In fact I poured a couple of them.  At only 8.5% abv I could drink these all night.  Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment