Saturday, December 26, 2009

Saturday Night and I Ain't Got Nobody

It was a dark and stormy night...but I was hungry and thirsty so I decided to go to the Craft Ale House in Limerick for some dinner.  Earlier in the day my wife took the kids to visit with her parents for the weekend which gave me the opportunity to complete some of those projects around the house that had been waiting for me.  I lost track of time and forgot to eat lunch.  Next thing I know it is dinner time and I hadn't prepared anything.  That's how I ended up with the great idea of going to the Craft Ale House for dinner. 

I ordered a Terrapin Hopsecutioner.  I'm not a big fan of these stupid names (what is a Hopsecutioner anyway) but the beer was pretty good.  As you might suspect from the name, it is an IPA and I think I would order this again when I see it.  Next I ordered a Steamworks Lizard Head Red and a fish and chips dinner.  If I was a thinking man I probably would not have ordered this beer with this dinner but that thought didn't occur to me until it was too late.  Regardless, this beer was more malty than I expected.  Clara Peller might have said, "Where's the hops".  So I had an OK beer with an awesome fish and chips dinner.  Yeah, they do the fish and chips right at CAH.

After dinner I sampled a Bell's Christmas Ale.  I had low expectations as I typically don't care for Christmas Ales.  This one was different.  It was not the spicy Christmas Ale I was expecting.  It was a very sweet malty beer.  Definitely not my style.  I ordered a Hercules DIPA from Great Divide without hesitation.  This is a nice DIPA.  Not the best I've had but I enjoyed the heck out of it tonight. 

I wish I could stay here all night at the Craft Ale House.  It occurs to me that my life is a dichotomy.  Often my wife is in the car with the kids and I rush into places like Craft Ale House and have a beer...maybe two and rush back out to the car.  Then there are nights like tonight.  No wife, no kids...and no designated driver.  Either way I'm limited in the quantity of beers I can enjoy.  I guess that's my cross to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment