Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting Caught Up

Getting caught up on this past weekend and beyond.

Last Friday I went to Ron's Original Bar and Grille in Exton for a beer and as is usually the case, I had to stand because there were no seats at the bar.  I ordered a RumpelPilsen from Full Pint Brewing Company.  As I have said before, I think I am spoiled by the pils I am used to from Victory and Sly Fox so it is tough to top them.  Same goes here.  It was OK, not great.  I moved on to the Drafting Room also in Exton where I could find a seat at the bar and enjoy a beer.  First up was a Sam Adams IPA.  It too was OK but not great.  I moved on to a Tall Grass IPA which is always good.  I ended with a G'Knight Imperial Red from Oskar Blues.  I've had this before and liked it a lot but this night I was not loving it.  I think I was just having a bad night...get it?

On Saturday I went to Teresa's Next Door in Wayne for an event but primarily I went because I've never had the Canadian Breakfast Stout from Founder's Brewing Company and TND had 2 of them on tap...the 2010 and the 2011.  I couldn't wait to have my first and I am still waiting.  TND was packed and even though I arrived at 3:00pm both Canadian Breakfast Stouts were already kicked.  I had to "settle" for a Pliny the Elder which was awesome as usual.  I followed that with a Scratch 55 from Troeg's Brewing Company.  This is an excellent DIPA even when following Pliny.  I left TND and headed for Craft Ale House which was a short 30 minutes away.  I started with a Lagunitas Dogtown Pale Ale which is always excellent.  I followed with a...ready for this name...Alchemist/Ninkasi/Stone More Brown Than Black IPA.  This is a collaboration between the three brewers and I thought it was a very good effort indeed.  On the way home, I drove past Railroad Street Bar and Grille in Linfield.  I heard good things about this place and have been meaning to stop in.  I should have picked some time other than 7:00pm on a Saturday.  The place was packed.  Most of the folks were in their 20's or 30's.  No seats were available at the bar but I got the bartender's attention.  I saw a flip flop tap handle so I knew they had Port Brewing on tap and any Port Brewing product is OK with me.  I asked for "the Port Brewing".  He said, "which one"?  Wow!  My kind of place.  They had 3 on tap and although I don't recall which three I do recall I got the Wipeout IPA.  Fantastic!

Tuesday night I went to the Victory Brewing Company to return/purchase another sixtel.  This time I picked up a Prima Pils.  While there I had a cask-conditioned Hop Wallop which is so much better than a regular Hop Wallop (which ain't bad).

Fast forward to today.  I was on business in Lancaster County and decided to have lunch at the Bulls Head Public House in Lititz.  I had a most awesome Rubin sandwich and a cask-conditioned Bullshead Mild which is made for them by St. Boniface Craft Brewing Company in Ephrata.  So their website isn't up and running yet but the brewery is...and has been for about a year.  I visited them a while back and they were great guys making what I consider to be excellent beers.  This one today was no exception.  I haven't been able to find St. Boniface beers outside of Lancaster County but I haven't given up hope yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment