Sunday, October 17, 2010

What Was That Beer?

On Saturday we took the kids back to Sesame Place.  As usual, I would visit Isaac Newton's in Newtown for a beer when the day is done.  As we drove through Newtown we happened by an area with a lot of police activity and traffic and folks just milling about.  That was a little irritating but things got worse.  As we passed by the most congested area I said to my wife "There's some type of event going on.  What is it?"  She said it was a brewfest.  Naturally I took this as a bad joke...only she wasn't joking.  This was bad news for several reasons.  Firstly, I missed it.  Secondly, with a brewfest in Newtown, where do you think all of the drunks are going to go after the event?  Of course, Isaac Newton's.  When we got there the parking lot was full.  I told my wife I was going to pass but she encouraged me to go in and try to get a beer (apparently beer improves my mood).  I found a parking spot and headed in.  The place was 3-deep at the bar.  As soon as I walked in and saw the crowd I spun on one heel and headed back towards the entrance.  Then, a fascinating thing happened.  Some how one of the extremely busy bartenders looked past the crowd and made eye contact with me.  "Sculpin" I yelled over the noise.  I wasn't sure if he heard me so I mouthed the word very carefully as I yelled.  Within a couple of seconds he was back with my beer.  He held up seven fingers.  I nudged my way past a couple of folks to get my Sculpin and handed the bartender $8 and considering my great fortune at even getting a beer this night I should have given him a bigger tip.  Things were going well.  Too well as it turns out.  The beer in my hand was not a Sculpin.  It was dark and malty looking.  I knew what had to be done.  The chances of me getting the attention of the same bartender were slim.  Then shouting my dilemma over the din of the crowd and getting a positive response from the bartender...impossible.  All I could do was drink what I got and be happy.  I ordered a hoppy IPA and this was quite the opposite.  Brown and malty.  The good news is it was very good.  The bad news is I still don't know what it was.  I studied the draught menu to try and figure it out but nothing fit.  I've had most of the beers on the menu and ruled them out.  The remaining beers didn't fit.  For example one was a Wit beer.  No way.  My guess is that the Sculpin had kicked and the tap changed to something else but with the rush to satisfy the thirsty crowd, the tap handle wasn't changed and this bartender was not aware of the change.  That is my guess anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment